According to sales statistics for the first quarter of 2016, as much as 84 per cent of mobile devices are Android-based. That is to say that it is by far the most popular operating system in its class. It is mostly used in a wide range of mobile devices, for instance cell phones, smart phones, tablets or net books.
Android is an open source operating system based on Linux core and Android development is mostly done in Java using Android Software Development Kit (Android SDK). Android Studio (built on IntelliJ IDEA) is the official IDE.
Advantages of Android:
• The biggest mobile market share and the largest selection of devices
• Free access to the developer platform
• Open “ecosystem”
– possibility to modify the OS (e.g. effecting changes to suit particular devices)
– possibility to modify the interface appearance (e.g. proprietary hardware manufacturers’ skins)
– wide range of possibilities when it comes to loading applications or patches
• well developed application distribution network: Google Play, SlideME, Opera Mobile Store, Mobango, F-droid, Amazon Appstore.
• Largest number of free and commercial applications/patches
• Multitasking – possibility to use many applications simultaneously
• Best support for Google tools and technologies
• Android NDK – possibility to use “native-code” languages, e.g. C or C++
• NFC support
Disadvantages of Android:
• Heterogeneous hardware environment causes compatibility issues
• Freedom to modify the system may cause efficiency or security issues
• Lower resistance to viruses resulting from ease with which it is possible to install software of unknown origin
• Users of Android devices are under much surveillance
BlueSoft Mobile competence center runs projects designed for all relevant mobile platforms, obviously including Android. More than 10 years’ experience and over 60 mobile domain specialists make us a reliable and strong supplier. What is worth mentioning is that our daughter company – Tabasco
See other technologies, which we use in this area
Innovative mobile technologies