Moving data to the cloud has many benefits for businesses. However, the process is demanding, so a precise plan is essential. How to migrate to the cloud? Find out how to design activities for a successful Cloud Migration.
Why have a cloud migration plan?
Every migration process requires a team and the right resources. A Cloud Migration Plan is an essential tool facilitating the preparation of an effective project strategy. We wrote about cloud migration strategies in our article “Cloud Migration Strategies“. Plan allows you to manage the entire process precisely by setting priorities and determining subsequent work steps. In various phases of cloud migration, it is also worth including specific tasks of key working groups and deadlines for implementing the stages.
How to migrate to the cloud – the most important questions concerning the process? Data migration often requires changing the software architecture and adjusting functionalities to the new environment. Before implementing a unique solution, it is essential to answer following crucial questions.
How to migrate to the cloud – questions
- What are the benefits of migration?
- Which migration model should I choose, and with whom should I carry out the implementation?
- Who should be involved in the migration?
- What are the priorities of the migration?
5 key cloud migration steps
Based on our experience, working with clients on the implementation of cloud solutions, we can identify several key cloud migration steps. They will allow you to quickly determine the subsequent stages of work and the necessary resources.
Align your goals
Start by defining your goals and priorities for migrating data to the cloud – consider IT operations and the business as a whole.
- Gain knowledge – learn about case studies, test the data, and then define an action strategy.
- Create decision paths, taking into account team competencies, business priorities, and solution provider capabilities.
Develop an action plan
The next step is to select the best supplier and negotiate the terms of cooperation.
- Build competencies within the organisation.
- Review the options available in the market and evaluate the different providers. Consider various factors such as costs, security, flexibility, or available tools.
- Choose the best solution and agree on the terms and conditions.
Get ready for execution
Once you have selected a solution, get ready for execution.
- Establish a migration team of experts who will execute the plan.
- Identify work stages and establish a project management framework.
- Define next cloud migration steps and priorities for each work stage and considerable financial resources.
- Set the implementation rules and practice the migration implementation.
Establish management & reduce risk
Before moving to the final stage, establish project management and assess potential risks by creating robust processes.
- Prioritise tasks, monitor, and analyse the implementation.
- Ensure the security of your cloud migration by using the right tools.
- Establish governance in line with the project cycle.
- Optimise the implementation process based on current information.
Optimize & Scale
The final step is to optimize and scale your cloud presence.
- Prioritise your project further and modify your strategy.
- Create multidisciplinary teams dedicated to customer service.
- Respond to customer needs and evolve the product to take full advantage of cloud solutions.
Involve specialists in phases of cloud migration
Phases of cloud migration require a well-prepared cloud migration plan and the identification of people responsible for the project. Who should participate in the process, and what roles do they play?
- CIO – plan and strategy, project coordination, and communication of progress.
- Application leader and team – critical project support, integration of all activities.
- Infrastructure & operations leader and team – leading I&O activities and implementing solutions.
- Technical professional team – development of architecture and migration plans, assessment and selection of tools and processes for migrating, refactoring, or rebuilding applications.
By conscientiously going through 5 cloud migration steps, you can accurately define the project’s goals, resources, threats, and time frames. It is also essential to indicate people responsible for individual phases of cloud migration and assign them specific tasks. It will make it easier for you to go through this demanding process, allowing you to implement your new solution properly.